Planet earth's geological history is fascinating. Within this history, Diamonds are earth’s oldest preserved minerals and have captured human imagination unlike any other mineral. Diamonds are geological masterpieces, forged by nature, billions of years ago. Until 1725, India was the world's only source of diamonds, followed by discovery of diamond mines in Brazil. Countless diamond discoveries were made, mostly alluvial, till diamond mining became a preferred method of recovering diamonds. Discovered gem-quality rough diamonds are cut, polished and are then set in your dazzling piece of jewelry.
Diamond discoveries are what diamond dreams are made of! Did you ever wonder what are some of the most famous and largest gem-quality diamonds ever discovered on planet earth? Take a look! (As of April 2018).
1. Cullinan Diamond - 3106.75 carats
2. The Lesedi La Rona – 1111 carats
3. The Excelsior Diamond – 995.2 carats
4. The Star of Sierra Leone – 969 carats
5. The Lesotho Legend - 910 carats
6. The Incomparable – 890 carats
7. The Constellation Diamond – 813 carats
8. The Koh-i-Noor Diamond – 793 carats
9. The Millennium Star – 777 carats
10. The Woyie River Diamond – 770 carats
Here's a closer look at the statistics and images of these historical and legendary diamonds.
1. THE CULLINAN DIAMOND
Carat Weight: 3,106.75 carats (621.350 g)
Color: Near colourless
Country of origin: South Africa
Mine of origin: Premier Mine
Cut by: Asscher Brothers
Original owner: Premier Diamond Mining Company
Owner: Queen Elizabeth II in right of the Crown (I and II) and as a private individual (III–IX)
Full article on CULLINAN DIAMOND by Reena Ahluwalia.
Recommended read: Historical and gemmological analysis of Cullinan I & II by Russell Shor and Kenneth Scarratt.