BIOGRAPHY - REENA AHLUWALIA
Recognized as one of the Top Masters of Jewelry Design in Canada, Reena Ahluwalia is a multifaceted artist. She is an award-winning jewelry designer, diamond painter, professor, speaker and a community builder. Creating jewelry with deep meaning and symbolism under her own brand, Reena's signature style is all about precision, geometry, fluidity and movement. Reena is one of handful of living jewelry artists whose work is featured on a nation's (Belgium) postage stamp. She designed a historic diamond piece for the Legislature of Ontario with De Beers Canada. Reena created the inaugural collection for Rio Tinto Bunder Mine, diamonds found 100 years after the fabled Indian Golconda Mines depleted. As a tribute to the British Royal Wedding, Reena created a Royal Diamond Tiara for HRH Kate Middleton with Royal Asscher Diamond Company, the company responsible for cutting world famous Cullinan Diamond and Excelsior Diamond.
Coveted internationally by art collectors, Reena paints highly nuanced, hyper-realistic diamonds with ultra-magnified facets. Through her art, she celebrates each one of us, because we all are like diamonds - brilliant, radiant, luminous, full of potential and much more. Reena's paintings were exhibited at prestigious Art Miami, and are in the collection of distinguished collectors worldwide, including, showcased at the DIVA Diamond Museum in Antwerp. Her artwork gives back to many organizations, including 'Jewelers For Children' (JFC) charity, to help children who are victims of catastrophic illness.
Reena is a professor and a member of the George Brown College Jewellery Program Advisory Committee. In 2017, she was awarded an honorary credential by George Brown College. Each year Reena supports students by providing scholarship and mentor upcoming talent. Reena is a Fellow of (IwB) Institute without Boundaries.
Reena was born in India and moved to Canada later on. She graduated from India's top design and art institute, the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT). Winning numerous International and National awards for design excellence, earned her scholarships in UK and Italy. She has been featured in books and publications such as Forbes, The New York Times, Financial Times, Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, InStyle, Elle, The Miami Herald, Toronto Star, The Hindu, Indian Express and more.
PROFESSOR | EDUCATOR
Professor / Jewellery & Gemmology Department / George Brown College. Toronto, Canada
Professor / Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD University). Toronto, Canada
Vice Principal, Professor / Jewellery Design & Technology Institute (JDTI). India
Visiting Professor / Jewellery Design & Technology Institute (JDTI). India
Visiting Professor / National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT). India
- 'Diamonds Dreams'- Paintings & Jewelry Exhibition. Sept. 27 - 28, 2018. Visual Arts Centre, Singapore.
- 'Diamonds For Hope' - a fundraising exhibition for Jewellers For Children (JFC) at Centurion Jewelry Show. Jan 28-30, 2018. Scottsdale, AZ, USA.
- Whitefield Art Collective, VR Bengaluru, India. Feb. 24 - March 24, 2017.
- C. Krishniah Chetty & Sons present, 'DIAMONDS' - An exhibition of rare collectible diamond paintings by Reena Ahluwalia in Bangalore, India. Feb. 17 - March 30, 2017.
- Painting exhibition at the Hong Kong Jewellery & Gem Fair. September 15-19, 2016. Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
- Exhibition | August 23 - November 4, 2016. KARA ROSS, New York. USA
- Solo Exhibition | DIAMONDS | August 7 - 9 2016. Canadian Jewellery Expos Gallery (CJ Expos), Toronto. Canada
- Solo Exhibition | DIAMOND Privé | June 2016. Artscape, Toronto. Canada
- Exhibition | ART MIAMI FAIR | December 1 - 6, 2015. Miami, USA
- Solo Exhibition | DIAMOND PORTAL SERIES | August 30 - October 30, 2015 | Fringe Gallery, Toronto. Canada
HIGHLIGHTS | AWARDS | RECOGNITION
- Member of the George Brown College Jewellery Program Advisory Committee.
- Reena's Diamond Paintings adorn 'DIVA. Antwerp Home of Diamonds' museum
- Speaker, Gem-A Conference 2017. Gem-A (The Gemmological Association of Great Britain). London, UK.
- Convocation 2017, Keynote Speaker at the George Brown College. Toronto, Canada.
- Awarded Fellowship of Institute without Boundaries (IwB)
- Awarded Honorary graduate degree in International Fashion Management, George Brown College. Toronto, Canada.
- Launched, 'Coronet By Reena Ahluwalia' Line, in partnership with Aaron Shum Jewelry Ltd., Baselworld 2017
- Speaker at Ontario College of Art and Design, (OCAD University) Toronto, Canada
- Speaker at 'Design Inspirations 2017' Seminar by GJEPC, The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council. Mumbai, India
- Speaker at American Gem Society (AGS) Commonwealth Guild. Canada
- Speaker at GIA-London (The Gemological Institute of America). London, UK
- Speaker at the Indian Institute of Gems & Jewellery (IIGJ). A Project of the Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC). Mumbai, India
- Speaker at GIA-India (The Gemological Institute of America). Mumbai, India
- Speaker at WJA, Women's Jewelry Association (India Chapter), Mumbai, India
- Reena Ahluwalia reveals the 'Diamond Portrait Series' of diamond paintings and artwork. Toronto, Canada
- Speaker at 'Design Inspirations 2016' Seminar by GJEPC, The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council. Mumbai, India
- Speaker and workshop. Invited by top Spanish jewelry designer to give a design talk. Madrid, Spain
- Reena Ahluwalia unveils the 'Diamond Portal Series' of diamond paintings and artwork. Toronto, Canada
- Reena Ahluwalia launches 'Nurture by Reena' - The world’s first lab-grown diamond designer jewelry line that exclusively features lab-grown diamonds and merges it with wearable technology, style and fashion.
- Reena Ahluwalia recognized as Top 25 "Masters of Jewellery Design in Canada". Toronto, Canada
- Judging panel for the lab-grown diamonds '2013 Rebel Chique Design Competition'. New York, USA
- Judging panel for the 'Canadian Jeweller 2013 Excellence in Design Awards'. Toronto, Canada
- Speaker. At the 4th Antwerp Diamond Trade Fair. Antwerp, Belgium
- Reena Ahluwalia unveils her collaboration with Forevermark, a De Beers Group diamond brand. Reena Ahluwalia introduces her 85-carat ‘Eternal’ diamond necklace at The Forevermark Promise Exhibition launch in Mumbai, India
- Rio Tinto Diamonds unveils Bunder diamond jewelry. Reena Ahluwalia is commissioned to create an inaugural collection, titled ‘Courageous Spirit’ with the very first diamonds of the Bunder Mine, located in Madhya Pradesh, India
- Introduction of the limited edition, colored diamonds 'Diamond Jubilee Stars' collection by Royal Asscher Diamonds in collaboration with designer Reena Ahluwalia. Released in honor of Queen Elizabeth II’s yearlong Diamond Jubilee celebration. Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Judging panel for the 'Canadian Jeweller 2012 Excellence in Design Awards'. Toronto, Canada
- Unveiling of the 85-carat Royal Asscher Diamond Tiara, designed by Reena Ahluwalia as a tribute to the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton. The tiara was amongst few that Kate Middleton, now Duchess of Cambridge, considered wearing for her royal wedding to Prince William. Las Vegas, USA
- Winner, JCK Jewelers' Choice Awards 2012. New York, USA
- Finalist, JCK Jewelers' Choice Awards 2012. New York, USA
- Speaker at GIA-London (The Gemological Institute of America). London, UK
- International winner. Canadian Diamonds Master Craftsman Award. Rio Tinto Diamonds Global Design Competition. New York, USA
- Best in Show, ‘Best Design Collaboration’ by JCK Magazine - JCK Las Vegas Show 2010. Las Vegas, USA
- ‘Antverpia 2010’ postage stamp released by the Belgian Postal Service to celebrate Antwerp as a world’s diamond capital. It features Reena Ahluwalia’s diamond necklace. Antwerp, Belgium
- Reena Ahluwalia designs historic setting for Ontario’s first mined diamonds. Ahluwalia was invited by the Ontario Legislature and De Beers Canada to design a diamond-setting to mount Ontario’s first diamonds in the historic Legislative Mace of Ontario. Toronto, Canada
2006-2008 - Recognized as top 25 influential professors at George Brown College, Toronto, Canada
- Guest Speaker / Royal Ontario Museum, Nature of Diamonds exhibition - Film Series ‘Icons & Ice’. Toronto, Canada
- Contributing writer for Modern Jeweller Magazine, USA
- First prize winner - North America / Necklace category, Tahitian Pearl Trophy – 5th Edition, New York, USA
- Second prize winner - North America / Bracelet category, Tahitian Pearl Trophy – 5th Edition, New York, USA
- Second prize winner - North America / Brooch category, Tahitian Pearl Trophy – 5th Edition, New York, USA
- ‘Bel Canto - A Homage to Maria Callas’ diamond necklace embarks on world tour and is exhibited at the Diamond Museum of Province of Antwerp (Diamantmuseum Provincie Antwerpen). Belgium / World Tour
- HRD Awards 2007. ‘Bel Canto - A Homage to Maria Callas’ necklace featured 101.0 carats of white diamonds. Contemporary diamond jewelry design awards by HRD & Antwerp World Diamonds Center (AWDC). Antwerp, Belgium
- 11th Samshin International Diamond Jewellery Design Awards. Seoul, Korea
- Tiaras for the ‘Femina Miss India’ beauty pageant, supported by Mont Blanc and the Times Group, India
2000 - Design Consultant, Platinum Guild International (PGI) for platinum introduction to the Indian Market, India
- Diamond necklace featured by late fashion icon Alexander McQueen in Spring/Summer 2000 collection debut in New York, USA
- De Beers Diamonds - International Awards 2000. Necklace features 2,409 diamonds weighing 196.56 carats. Paris, France
- Gold Virtuosi International Awards, World Gold Council, India & Italy
- Jury Advisor and Adjudicator, ‘Swarnanjali National Awards’, World Gold Council, India
1998-1999 - Designer / Consultant, World Gold Council Trend book, India
- Winner, Swarnanjali National Awards by World Gold Council, India
- Scholarship / Sponsored by the World Gold Council, UK & Italy
- Overall Excellence in Design, Swarnanjali National Awards by World Gold Council, India
- Agata Award for Design and Overall Excellence, Italy