Reena Ahluwalia is a Toronto-based, multiple award-winning Canadian jewelry artist, painter, speaker, professor of jewelry and a community builder. Her work is coveted by collectors worldwide and she is recognized as one of the Top Masters of Jewelry Design in Canada. Along with creating jewelry and paintings with deep meaning and symbolism for her own brand, Reena is a strategy adviser and design consultant to some of the top diamond and jewelry houses. Reena is a Fellow of (IwB) Institute without Boundaries. She was awarded an honorary credential by George Brown College for leaving an indelible mark on industry, community and for her contributions to the areas of study offered at George Brown for being an exceptional role model for the students. She is a member of George Brown College Jewellery Program Advisory Committee.
Born in India, from an early age she was immersed in deeply-rooted traditions of Indian jewelry. Jewelry being an intrinsic part of everyday life in Indian culture, Reena was able to focus on the importance of jewelry’s many functions – symbolic, physical and conceptual. Reena is a longtime proponent of responsible diamonds that are sustainable, origin-guaranteed, conflict-free and strives to adhere to this philosophy in her creations.
Reena’s body of work reflects her passion for diamonds and linkages with the global diamond community for over twenty years. She has won numerous national and international awards, including the coveted De Beers Diamonds-International Award and the Rio Tinto Diamonds Global Design Competition. Late fashion designer Alexander McQueen featured her award-winning piece in his Spring/Summer 2000 debut in New York. The Belgian Postal Service celebrated her award-winning, spectacular diamond jewel ‘Bel Canto – A Homage to Maria Callas’ in a special edition Belgian postage stamp entitled ‘Antverpia 2010.’
In 2008, Reena Ahluwalia was invited to design a unique diamond setting for the first mined diamonds from the Canadian province of Ontario. The two diamonds came from De Beers’ Victor Mine and are set in the historic Mace of Ontario. In 2012, Rio Tinto Diamonds entrusted Reena with creating an inaugural collection with the very first diamonds of the Bunder Mine, located in Madhya Pradesh, India. As a tribute to the Royal Wedding, Reena created a Diamond Tiara for HRH Kate Middleton with Royal Asscher Diamonds, company that cut the largest diamond ever found, the fabled Cullinan Diamond.
An ambassador of arts and crafts, her quasi-nomadic lifestyle has enriched her thinking and enabled her to experience various cultures that help shape her cutting edge designs. This openness to cultures and experiences has also brought with it a spirit of enquiry and exploration that makes it possible to reboot her thinking keeping her designs fresh and innovative. Reena creates powerfully confident, proudly flamboyant jewelry that harmonizes well-engineered precision and geometry with fluidity and movement. Reena's signature style is distinctive of forthright femininity, innovation and subtle symbolic references. She has been successful in exploring different extremes in form, effortlessly moving from extravagant and exaggerated to small and understated.
As an accomplished painter, Reena paints highly nuanced, hyperrealistic diamonds with ultra-magnified facets. In Reena's paintings diamonds have stories and soul. Reena's paintings and jewelry are in the collection of distinguished collectors worldwide. Reena's Diamond Paintings are in 'DIVA. Antwerp Home of Diamonds' museum. She showcases her paintings in a select few exhibits, including at the prestigious Art Miami Fair. Reena's artwork benefits Jewelers For Children (JFC) charity, to help children who are the victim of catastrophic illness or life-threatening abuse and neglect. Other beneficiaries include the Women's Jewelry Association (WJA) and the CKC Foundation.
-- 'Diamonds For Hope' - a fundraising exhibition for Jewellers For Children (JFC) at Centurion Jewelry Show (Jan 28-30, 2018). Scottsdale, AZ, USA.
- Whitefield Art Collective, VR Bengaluru, India. Feb. 24 - March 24, 2017.
- C. Krishniah Chetty & Sons present, 'DIAMONDS' - An exhibition of rare collectible diamond paintings by Reena Ahluwalia in Bangalore, India. Feb. 17 - March 30, 2017.
- Painting exhibition at the Hong Kong Jewellery & Gem Fair. September 15-19, 2016. Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
- Exhibition | August 23 - November 4, 2016. KARA ROSS, New York. USA
- Solo Exhibition | DIAMONDS | August 7 - 9 2016. Canadian Jewellery Expos Gallery (CJ Expos), Toronto. Canada
- Solo Exhibition | DIAMOND Privé | June 2016. Artscape, Toronto. Canada
- Exhibition | ART MIAMI FAIR | December 1 - 6, 2015. Miami, USA
- Solo Exhibition | DIAMOND PORTAL SERIES | August 30 - October 30, 2015 | Fringe Gallery, Toronto. Canada
Professor / Jewellery & Gemmology Department / George Brown College, Toronto, Canada
Vice Principal, Professor / Jewellery Design & Technology Institute (JDTI), India
Visiting Professor / Jewellery Design & Technology Institute (JDTI), India
Visiting Professor / National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), India
HIGHLIGHTS | AWARDS | RECOGNITION
- Member of the George Brown College Jewellery Program Advisory Committee.
- Reena's Diamond Paintings adorn 'DIVA. Antwerp Home of Diamonds' museum
- Speaker, Gem-A Conference 2017. Gem-A (The Gemmological Association of Great Britain). London, UK.
- Convocation 2017, Keynote Speaker at the George Brown College. Toronto, Canada.
- Awarded Fellowship of Institute without Boundaries (IwB)
- Awarded Honorary graduate degree in International Fashion Management, George Brown College. Toronto, Canada.
- Launched, 'Coronet By Reena Ahluwalia' Line, in partnership with Aaron Shum Jewelry Ltd., Baselworld 2017
- Speaker at Ontario College of Art and Design, (OCAD University) Toronto, Canada
- Speaker at 'Design Inspirations 2017' Seminar by GJEPC, The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council. Mumbai, India
- Speaker at American Gem Society (AGS) Commonwealth Guild. Canada
- Speaker at GIA-London (The Gemological Institute of America). London, UK
- Speaker at the Indian Institute of Gems & Jewellery (IIGJ). A Project of the Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC). Mumbai, India
- Speaker at GIA-India (The Gemological Institute of America). Mumbai, India
- Speaker at WJA, Women's Jewelry Association (India Chapter), Mumbai, India
- Reena Ahluwalia reveals the 'Diamond Portrait Series' of diamond paintings and artwork. Toronto, Canada
- Speaker at 'Design Inspirations 2016' Seminar by GJEPC, The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council. Mumbai, India
- Speaker and workshop. Invited by top Spanish jewelry designer to give a design talk. Madrid, Spain
- Reena Ahluwalia unveils the 'Diamond Portal Series' of diamond paintings and artwork. Toronto, Canada
- Reena Ahluwalia launches 'Nurture by Reena' - The world’s first lab-grown diamond designer jewelry line that exclusively features lab-grown diamonds and merges it with wearable technology, style and fashion.
- Reena Ahluwalia recognized as Top 25 "Masters of Jewellery Design in Canada". Toronto, Canada
- Judging panel for the lab-grown diamonds '2013 Rebel Chique Design Competition'. New York, USA
- Judging panel for the 'Canadian Jeweller 2013 Excellence in Design Awards'. Toronto, Canada
- Speaker. At the 4th Antwerp Diamond Trade Fair. Antwerp, Belgium
- Reena Ahluwalia unveils her collaboration with Forevermark, a De Beers Group diamond brand. Reena Ahluwalia introduces her 85-carat ‘Eternal’ diamond necklace at The Forevermark Promise Exhibition launch in Mumbai, India
- Rio Tinto Diamonds unveils Bunder diamond jewelry. Reena Ahluwalia is commissioned to create an inaugural collection, titled ‘Courageous Spirit’ with the very first diamonds of the Bunder Mine, located in Madhya Pradesh, India
- Introduction of the limited edition, colored diamonds 'Diamond Jubilee Stars' collection by Royal Asscher Diamonds in collaboration with designer Reena Ahluwalia. Released in honor of Queen Elizabeth II’s yearlong Diamond Jubilee celebration. Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Judging panel for the 'Canadian Jeweller 2012 Excellence in Design Awards'. Toronto, Canada
- Unveiling of the 85-carat Royal Asscher Diamond Tiara, designed by Reena Ahluwalia as a tribute to the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton. The tiara was amongst few that Kate Middleton, now Duchess of Cambridge, considered wearing for her royal wedding to Prince William. Las Vegas, USA
- Winner, JCK Jewelers' Choice Awards 2012. New York, USA
- Finalist, JCK Jewelers' Choice Awards 2012. New York, USA
- Speaker at GIA-London (The Gemological Institute of America). London, UK
- International winner. Canadian Diamonds Master Craftsman Award. Rio Tinto Diamonds Global Design Competition. New York, USA
- Best in Show, ‘Best Design Collaboration’ by JCK Magazine - JCK Las Vegas Show 2010. Las Vegas, USA
- ‘Antverpia 2010’ postage stamp released by the Belgian Postal Service to celebrate Antwerp as a world’s diamond capital. It features Reena Ahluwalia’s diamond necklace. Antwerp, Belgium
- Reena Ahluwalia designs historic setting for Ontario’s first mined diamonds. Ahluwalia was invited by the Ontario Legislature and De Beers Canada to design a diamond-setting to mount Ontario’s first diamonds in the historic Legislative Mace of Ontario. Toronto, Canada
2006-2008 - Recognized as top 25 influential professors at George Brown College, Toronto, Canada
- Guest Speaker / Royal Ontario Museum, Nature of Diamonds exhibition - Film Series ‘Icons & Ice’. Toronto, Canada
- Contributing writer for Modern Jeweller Magazine, USA
- First prize winner - North America / Necklace category, Tahitian Pearl Trophy – 5th Edition, New York, USA
- Second prize winner - North America / Bracelet category, Tahitian Pearl Trophy – 5th Edition, New York, USA
- Second prize winner - North America / Brooch category, Tahitian Pearl Trophy – 5th Edition, New York, USA
- ‘Bel Canto - A Homage to Maria Callas’ diamond necklace embarks on world tour and is exhibited at the Diamond Museum of Province of Antwerp (Diamantmuseum Provincie Antwerpen). Belgium / World Tour
- HRD Awards 2007. ‘Bel Canto - A Homage to Maria Callas’ necklace featured 101.0 carats of white diamonds. Contemporary diamond jewelry design awards by HRD & Antwerp World Diamonds Center (AWDC). Antwerp, Belgium
- 11th Samshin International Diamond Jewellery Design Awards. Seoul, Korea
- Tiaras for the ‘Femina Miss India’ beauty pageant, supported by Mont Blanc and the Times Group, India
2000 - Design Consultant, Platinum Guild International (PGI) for platinum introduction to the Indian Market, India
- Diamond necklace featured by late fashion icon Alexander McQueen in Spring/Summer 2000 collection debut in New York, USA
- De Beers Diamonds - International Awards 2000. Necklace features 2,409 diamonds weighing 196.56 carats. Paris, France
- Gold Virtuosi International Awards, World Gold Council, India & Italy
- Jury Advisor and Adjudicator, ‘Swarnanjali National Awards’, World Gold Council, India
1998-1999 - Designer / Consultant, World Gold Council Trend book, India
- Winner, Swarnanjali National Awards by World Gold Council, India
- Scholarship / Sponsored by the World Gold Council, UK & Italy
- Overall Excellence in Design, Swarnanjali National Awards by World Gold Council, India
- Agata Award for Design and Overall Excellence, Italy